May 16, 2010

15. Biscuits no gravy and the girlfriend word

The story continues...

I'm way out of my league thought Abby as the Spenser family butler headed towards her.

"Miss, How may I assist you?" the butler asked.

"I'd like to get some breakfast, "Abby replied.

"This way please," the man said, motioning her down the hallway.

All the elegance surrounding her made Abby feel very underdressed and plain. She made her way to the dining room filled with a gigantic mahogany table that was large enough to seat 20 people. She saw a woman seated at the far end of the table. She looked up and met Abby with warm eyes; upon recognizing Abby, the woman smiled immediately.
''You must be Abby," she said, jumping up and coming around the table, “Hello. I’m Bethany!”
Bethany was almost as tall as Ed and she crushed Abby in a quick hug; she smelled of jasmine perfume. She was dressed completely in beige.
"I hope you are feeling better," Bethany said.
"Oh yes. But I am starving," said Abby sheepishly.

"Of course. What would you like?"

"I don't want to be trouble. Whatever is available is fine,"
Bethany laughed and said," Why eggs, sausage, biscuits, hash, anything you desire."

After a few awkward moments Abby realized she was supposed to give her order to the butler. He gave her a funny look when she requested scrambled eggs and biscuits with no gravy.

"Here. Sit by me," Bethany exclaimed," You are certain you are feeling better?''

"Yes, thank you," Abby said while placing the pink cloth napkin in her lap.
“I'm sorry about the room arrangements. We have too many guests and not enough rooms. Edmund said you two are taking things slow,"

"Uh yeah," Abby said, feeling her mouth go dry. Tell her you’re just friends said a little voice in Abby’s mind. No, tell her you lust after him said another voice in her mind. Abby shook her head remarking to herself that the shot of medication from last night might be making her a bit crazy.

“I've never met one of his girlfriends before. Edmund is very private," Bethany said.
Abby responded by giving Bethany a look of disbelief. Surely attractive Edmund Spenser had many girlfriends, she thought. Finally she managed to add," You must be joking. Surely he brought one home in high school or college?"

“I don't think Edmund had a girlfriend in high school," Bethany said and then added, "speaking of high school, I'll ask you to help me pick out photos for the rehearsal dinner."

Bethany rearranged the 3 ring binders near her plate and pulled out a packet of photographs; she shuffled through them and placed six of them in front of Abby.

No comments:

Post a Comment