May 6, 2010

13. Marble floors, satin, and nausea

The story continues...

Ed went downstairs to see where the limo driver had left their luggage. Ed’s sister Bethany was nearly as tall as him. She had long brown hair parted down the middle, showing off her oval face and blue gray eyes; even in the gray sweat pants she was wearing she looked elegant. Bethany hugged him, but noticed the tension in Ed and asked, “Is she okay?”

“Migraine. Dizzy. Got sick in the car,” he said, worried.

“Oh poor thing,” Bethany said.

“I should have taken her to the hospital,” Ed sighed.

“Let me call a doctor,” Bethany offered

“You can do that here?” Ed asked with a look of astonishment. Bethany nodded at him, leading Ed down the stairs into the library where her purse and cell phone was.

After Bethany called for a doctor and gave him directions to the house, she patted Ed on the shoulder and announced. “He’s on his way.”

“So which room am I staying in?” Ed asked her, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

“The same suite as Abby,” Bethany replied.

“I told you I needed two rooms. I promised her,” Ed said.

“All the rooms are full, the rest of the guests arrive in a couple of hours,”

“Oh,” Ed said, disappointed.

“I’m sorry, Ed,” Bethany said, grabbing his hand, “I had no choice.”

“Well, she’ll think I planned this,” Ed said.

“So you haven’t had sex yet?” Bethany asked.

“We’re taking things…slow,” he said.

“I’ll explain to her tomorrow. Be respectful. Women like that,”

“Thanks, Sis. I’m going to go make sure Abby’s okay,”

Ed opened the door to the suite and heard the sound from the bathroom. Abby was clutching the toilet, crumpled on the cool marble floor. The size of the bathroom was enormous, like a two car garage; even being sick couldn’t make Abby miss the magnitude of the bathroom. Ed rushed into the bathroom and sat down beside Abby on the floor and rubbed her back with his hand. Abby wiped her mouth and turned to look at him. He looked so worried. “I’m okay,” she said, reaching to flush the toilet.

“There’s a doctor on the way,” Ed told her.

She put her head on her knees. “Sorry,” she whispered.

“For what?” Ed asked. She shrugged.

Ed helped Abby back to bed. “Abby, I’m sorry. I swear I told Bethany we needed separate rooms, but it’s a full house. We have to share a room,” he told her leaning over her.

“Okay,” she said, closing her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment