March 31, 2010

8. Invitation to Savannah

The next day, Abby and Ed went to a movie and then to the closest large bookstore to hang out.  Abby was a bit off her game that day after the strange nightmare the previous night.  She considered telling Ed about the dream, but in the end, decided against it.  Ed was in line to order for them and he was dressed in a black short sleeve button down shirt with jeans; Abby couldn't help but study him, especially the curve of his bottom in his jeans.  Ed turned back towards her, flashing her a grin.  She returned the smile which come out a bit devious since she couldn't stop herself from imagining putting her hands all over him.

Abby fought to wrap up her daydream as Ed approached carrying two iced chai lattes.  His hands looked strong and Abby felt a blush come to her cheeks.

"What's up?" he asked, setting down her drink.

"Huh?" she replied, lost in his gaze at that moment.

"You all right?" he asked after he sat down.

"Sure.  Didn't sleep well last night," Abby said quickly, almost so quickly that the words nearly jumbled together.

"How come you never talk about past boyfriends?" he asked, after crumpling up the paper wrapper for his straw.

Abby's mouth gaped a bit in surprise until she made herself close it.  The question seemed to come out of left field, but maybe Ed had an idea of what she was....no, that's just silly she told herself.

"Didn't end well, made myself too vulnerable, ancient history," she said without taking a breath in between.

Ed leaned back in his chair and chuckled because Abby really did seem a little weird that day.  He figured that now was his chance.  He'd been putting off asking her something for a few weeks and time was running out.

"I need to ask you a favor," he began, "I've been afraid to ask."

"Ask what?"

"I need you to go to my sister's wedding with me,"

"Her wedding?" Abby asked, who was kind of rerunning Ed's line "I need you" over and over in her head in those few seconds since it was nice to hear.  Pathetic Abby, Pathetic. her internal voice echoed.

"Bethany is getting married.  I know it is a huge favor to ask.  I don't want to go alone," Ed said.

"Did they expect you to come with Tricia?" Abby asked and felt awful when she saw the immediate mention of his ex-girlfriend's name caused him great pain.

"No.  I told Bethany about...her," he said, his voice now full of tension.

"When is it?" Abby asked.

"Six weeks away in Savannah,"

"Savannah?" Abby choked.

"Yeah.  Bethany is paying for the tickets.  She wants me there for a Tuesday to Sunday thing.  Could you get off work?"

Abby didn't know what to say so just watched him silently; overwhelmed with the information.  Ed was growing nervous and fidgeting in the wooden chair.

"I'd have to check on work.  But I might be able to do some on the road on computer," she said, thinking of how a couple years ago when she was seeing patients every day she had her work schedule arranged six to eight months in advance.  She could make it work now, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to go.

"Sure," Ed said.

"Maybe we should get separate rooms since we...aren't together," Abby announced with maybe a little nervous emphasis on the word together.

"We can do that," Ed said slowly.

"Do you go home much?" Abby asked him.

"Been six years I think,"

"Let me check on the dates," Abby said.

"Thanks for considering," Ed said, his palm sweaty, his stomach nervous.  He hadn't considered what he would do if Abby said no.  He felt like he was sinking; deep down he thought she would say yes.

"A wedding is a big deal for a couple to attend," Abby said.

"Yeah?  Why is that?" he asked with a confused expression.

"Well.  Stereotypical women assume if they are going with a date to a wedding that they have a chance of getting proposed to at some point.  And, guests at a wedding seem to ask, 'When are you getting married?'"

"Huh?"

"Stupid, isn't it," Abby opined.

"So they won't believe that we are just friends?"

"It is a possibility,"

"Is that a bad thing?" Ed asked her, his palms extremely sweaty.

"What?  No,"  Abby responded, blushing then added, "As long as you don't mind the implication."

Ed scooted his chair closer to the table and whispered, "No, I don't mind."  He continued, "Bethany asked me to be a groomsman.  I have to go.  I promised.  I just don't want to go.  Especially alone." 

His eyes were pleading with her and he was a bit shocked at how vulnerable he had made himself. 

"Okay, I'll go with you.  I know it's not going to be easy," Abby announced, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Easy to pretend you like me?" he asked, a crooked smile arising on his face.

"You owe me," she said, refusing to answer his last question.

No comments:

Post a Comment